Smelly dishwasher odor can result from a buildup of food particles, mold, and mildew that can quickly overwhelm your kitchen. What should you do when your Electrolux dishwasher smells bad? A thorough cleaning of the interior, filter, and drain can eliminate odor. Learn how to clean an Electrolux dishwasher to effectively remove bad smells and prevent them from returning.
Bad Smells, Be Gone! How to Clean an Electrolux Dishwasher
Regular cleanings of the interior, filter, and drain are one of the most important dishwasher maintenance tips. Cleaning these components on a monthly basis can banish odor and prevent clogs from hampering dishwasher function. We’ll review how to clean an Electrolux dishwasher with easy-to-follow steps and tips. But, first, knowing what causes odor can help keep it at bay.
What Causes Dishwasher Odor?
Even though grease, grime, and food particles usually get washed away, traces of these remnants are left behind with every dishwashing cycle. The dishwasher’s warm, moist environment hastens the development of mold and mildew as these remnants break down, creating a bad odor.
Without regular cleanings, mold and mildew can rapidly grow out of control, along with their odor. Here’s how to clean an Electrolux dishwasher to eliminate smells at the source.
How to Clean the Dishwasher Interior
The walls and floor of the dishwasher’s interior harbor moisture that create a breeding ground for mold and mildew. What is the best way to clean the inside of a dishwasher? Basic vinegar and baking soda can both clean and deodorize after washing dirty dishes or the items in these dishwasher hacks.
Follow these steps to clean the dishwasher’s interior with baking soda and vinegar:
- Place a small, dishwasher-safe bowl in the top rack of the empty dishwasher.
- Fill the bowl with white vinegar.
- Close the door and run a regular wash cycle with hot water.
- When the first cycle is complete, sprinkle a handful of baking soda in the base of the dishwasher and run a quick wash cycle with hot water.
- *Optional Step for Mildew: For pervasive mildew, add 1 cup bleach to the base of the empty dishwasher and run a third wash cycle. Skip this step if your dishwasher has a stainless steel interior, as bleach can stain this material.
How to Clean the Dishwasher Filter
Dishwasher filters are common sources of odor, as trapped food particles that don’t get washed away will begin to break down. Electrolux filters contain a glass trap, a large, circular mesh filter, and a fine mesh filter that can be easily disassembled and cleaned.
Here’s how to clean an Electrolux dishwasher filter in 7 easy steps:
- Remove the dishwasher’s bottom rack and spray arm.
- Turn the glass trap’s tab 90° to the right and pull up to remove.
- Pull up on the large, circular filter to remove it and the fine mesh component. Pull the two filters apart to clean separately.
- Scrape off large food particles.
- Run filters under running water.
- Scrub stubborn stains with dish detergent and a soft brush or soak in warm, soapy water.
- Reconnect the large and fine mesh filters and replace, followed by the glass trap, spray arm and bottom rack.
How to Unclog a Dishwasher
The last step in how to clean a smelly dishwasher addresses any blockages. Clogs not only impede dishwasher function, but they can be a source of odors as food particles accumulate and decompose.
The following tips detail how to eliminate clogs in three common areas:
- Garbage disposal: If you have a garbage disposal it typically shares a drain with the dishwasher. Run the disposal before starting a wash cycle to eliminate any odor-causing food particles that can block this shared drain.
- Air gap: If you have an air gap, it can also fill with food debris and block the dishwasher’s flow of water. Clean it out regularly by taking off the outer cover and removing any visible debris.
- Dishwasher drain: To dispel a drain clog, take out the dishwasher’s filters to access the drain. Remove any visible clogs with a straightened wire. Lastly, break up any lingering debris by pouring a solution of baking soda and vinegar down the drain. Allow it to sit for 10-15 minutes before dispeling the solution with hot water.
Knowing how to clean an Electrolux dishwasher can keep this helpful appliance clean, fresh, and functioning optimally. However, despite all efforts, breakdowns can still occur. When they do, and only a professional dishwasher repair service can help, call Conner’s Appliance for a fast and expert response!