When you open your dryer door, your nose expects be met with a clean and pleasant smell. However, this isn’t always the smell that greets you. Many times, when you aren’t expecting it, you open your dryer and cringe as you realize that something is very, very wrong! Your dryer is not supposed to smell like dirty socks or like your gym clothes that have been left in the laundry basket for a week. The good news is that if your dryer smells bad, we have the solution!
How To Get A Bad Smell Out Of Your Dryer
Are you wondering, “Why does my dryer smell bad?” That odor emanating from your dryer is usually due to lint that has accumulated in the lint trap. Dirty lint can smell absolutely horrible. But, once you remove it your dryer will be fresh as a rose. Here’s how to clean your lint trap in just a few minutes:
- Step 1: Turn your dryer off and unplug just to be safe.
- Step 2: Start by removing the lint trap from your dryer. Scrape off as much lint as you can with your hands. Use your vacuum with the hose attachment to suck out the rest of the lint. If the trap is not perfectly clean, then you can then run it under some running water and use a soft brush to remove any stubborn dirt. Then set the lint trap aside and allow it to dry completely before you put it back in the dryer.
- Step 3: Use your vacuum with the hose attachment to clean out the hole for your lint trap. Using your vacuum to suck out that dirt is quicker and more effective than using any kind of cloth or brush.
- Step 4: While vacuuming, take the time to clean the entire area around and under your dryer. Clean out the dryer vent as well. This is extremely important and should be done regularly since lint likes to hide in this area. Cleaning around your dryer helps prevent this dirt from sneaking into various small spaces.
- Step 5: Take a moment to go outside and vacuum the exterior of your dryer vent. The flaps in the duct should be able to move freely. If not, check for debris that could be causing an obstruction. It’s not uncommon for debris to become stuck but it is important to quickly take action. This is also a good opportunity to check the ventilation system for any signs of wear and tear. Given the high temperatures, it’s not uncommon for vents to require replacement at some point.
- Step 6: You may have heard that vinegar is a great natural cleaner and deodorizer. It can be used all around the house and you don’t have to worry about harmful fumes like you do with strong chemicals. Take a clean cloth and dip it in some distilled white vinegar. Clean the inside of your dryer with this damp cloth and make sure that you wipe every inch. This includes the door, and the area under the rubber gasket in the door seal. If you find that your cloth is not as damp as it should be, apply more vinegar and continue wiping until you have cleaned the entire interior of your dryer. Leave the door open and open a window to allow air venting.
- Step 7: Give the exterior of your dryer a wipe down with a clean, damp rag. Do not use a dripping wet cloth and do not use anything that could cause scratches. Take this opportunity to inspect the exterior of your dryer and make sure that there’s no other damage to any of the other parts.
How To Prevent Your Dryer From Smelling
Remember, prevention is always better than cure. If your dryer smells like mildew, we can help you keep it from returning after cleaning. In order to prevent bad smells from returning, it’s important to allow your dryer to air properly on a regular basis. You should never leave damp laundry inside your dryer and you should clean the lint trap before every use. The vent on your dryer should be inspected regularly for dirt, debris or damage. If you ever notice a burning or strange smell, stop your dryer immediately, remove your laundry and call one of our dryer repair professionals. Keep your dryer unplugged when not in use. Even if it’s turned off, power surges have been known to cause damage even when appliances are not in use.
When you need urgent dryer repairs, don’t settle for anything less than the absolute best. Call Conner’s Appliance at or contact us online. Our quality service will have your dryer smelling like roses in no time.